This event is a survey of the evolution of foldforming as it is applied in the world today in jewelry, sculpture, architecture, functional objects, and unexpected applications.
Judges look for a well-crafted use of foldforming techniques in the metal arts, in a fully realized work, with points for excellence of execution and bold explorations. Complexity carries weight, but so does creativity and fresh expression. Artists are often recognized for simple folds that are deftly repeated, used in mixed media, or combined with other metal techniques. And prize-winners from previous years are asked to introduce substantive change or evolution in their new entries.
See results for the 2022 Lewton-Brain Foldform Competition HERE.
Great turnout with entries from Aruba, Australia, Canada, China, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Portugal, South Africa, Taiwan, United Kingdom, and 18 states in the USA.
Prizes go to 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, Honorable Mention (HM) and the Innovation Award. Additional entries are recognized each year in a Jurors’ Choice round. The Innovation Award was created by the jury in 2014 to recognize a startling entry by Noah Deledda. The opportunity remains available for surprising technical advancements. The gauntlet is thrown – the challenge is out there!
• Entry deadline Nov 13, 2022 by midnight U.S. ET*
• Submit up to three pieces of work using foldforming techniques in the metal arts, with up to two images (views) per piece.
• Mixed media pieces are welcome if a major component of the work is foldforming in metal.
• Large, well lit, in focus, high-definition images suitable for print are important; format .jpg and max size 8MB. Solid or gradient white, gray, or black background preferred. No photo edits that alter the look of the piece or its workmanship are permitted
• Artists are asked to include photo credits to acknowledge the photographer of each piece.
• Entry into the competition will constitute a photo release (details available).
• There is a $25 fee for submission.
• Questions about the entry process? Click HERE for tips and contacts.
More about photography: Artists submit only digital images of their work for this competition. Your work is never shipped. Because the jury relies solely on images to judge work, high quality photography (well-lit, in focus, high definition) is very important. If photography is not your thing, consider asking someone else to help.
Closed for entry on Nov 13, 2022
>> 2022 ENTRY PORTAL <<
Professor Charles Lewton-Brain, Artist Goldsmith, Educator, Foldforming Pioneer
Alan Revere, Designer, Author, Educator
Shawna Kulpa, Associate Publisher, MJSA Journal
Pepetools: Thank you for making this event possible with gift certificates for all prize levels.
Prizes to 1st, 2nd, 3rd Places, Honorable Mention, and Innovation Award:
Each year judges recognize notable entries in a Jurors' Choice round. While these are not eligible for prizes, they are publicized with the winners on a global stage, including the 2022 Results page on www.foldforming.org and more. Jurors Choice selections have often found their way into national magazines, online blogs and social media in past years.
The Lewton-Brain Foldform Competition enjoys international attention with previous entries from artists across the U.S. and on 5 continents. All top winners and Jurors' Choice selections will be recognized on a new 2022 page at www.foldforming.org, in a press release, and social media.
Thank you, Pepetools!